I have made this blouse three times now, and while it's pretty easy to begin with, it just keeps getting easier! The Violet from Colette Patterns comes with two sleeve variations (this is the short version) in sizes from 0-18.
This is a simple pattern to modify-- especially the sleeve length, collar size, or side seams (for a closer fit). The Violet is also a great pattern to start with a muslin, or test garment, in order to get your perfect size and fit. This particular sample was made in a size 6 using an apparel weight cotton close to quilting weight. As luck would have it, we ran through this particular floral in just a couple of weeks, but never fear-- there are plenty of other options. Including sweet lawns from Timeless treasures, tubes of light weight cotton and linen, silk, and plenty of voiles from some of your favourite designers. My favourite lightweights are (obviously) the Liberty Tana lawn bolts, and this tractor print:
If you're wondering what type of fabric would work for something like this, please ask! Sometimes bolts are spread out all over our little store.
While my machine complete button holes in a competent manner, I knew I wanted to use small buttons which would necessitate some fantastically good button holes. So, I took my near finished blouse down to MD to use one of the classroom machines. Meredith recommended the narrow button hole option, and after a little tutorial and 10 minutes, I had all seven holes done and dusted. This blouse just got that much easier to make.
Tula took second prize for her booth at Quilt Market, which showcased her quilt patterns. We have some of her new patterns on order, but have you looked at the Modern Alphabet pattern lately? This might be the perfect summer project.
We also have all four Prince Charming laminates and two voiles prints. I am a huge fan of both of these substrates!
This weekend's project comes from Miss April. She's got a baby quilt top pieced using Kate Spain's Central Park (pictured above) and an enlarged version of Malka Dubrawsky's Tree Improv Placemats pattern. We have one fat pack of the entire line left in stock! In her words:
I wanted to use all fabrics from the same line to keep it simple and so I didn't need to think too hard about it, including the process itself. The pattern is so loose but gets great results even in a larger format. This came together in no time at all, and the process was very freeing-- more fun than tedious. I could see this working with all kinds of lines, for example, Moda's Hullabaloo or any number of prints from the Kaffe Fasset Collective.
- 1.25 yards of the main animal print
- 1.25 yards of a solid, .33yds of the cobblestone in two colors
- .67 yards of two hernshead plant patterns (because it was directional and I wanted all the lines to go the same way).
All the fabric gets used, with the scraps going together to form a pieced back. The finished measurements are around 50"by 60".